Tuesday 10 September 2013

How to make a Dragon

I've been asked by several people how you go about designing something as complicated as the stained glass dragon. It starts with the idea and a clear vision of what you are aiming to achieve, in this case a glass flag. An interweb search gives clear images, I never look at similar stained glass projects, I need inspiration not imitation. I then do a blobby sketch to get layout, orientation and scale right; at this point you need a vivid imagination to see a dragon. 
I then draw in a clear outline and basic shapes. A lot of rubber gets used at this stage but it leaves me with a good working drawing. 
Now we start to convert nice sketch to stained glass cartoon. The detail is drawn in very gently, and then I sit back and stare for a while, looking for shapes that won't work in glass. An adjustment is drawn and I sit back again. When happy, it goes up on the wall for a day or so until I am entirely happy with it. The detail is then overdrawn in bold black felt tip pen. 
After more pondering it goes onto the light box under a sheet of tracing paper. With a fine marker pen I then trace what will be the final shape, we can still make adjustments at this stage. The sketch is then removed, leaving the master cartoon on which the remaining cut lines and the border are drawn in. 
I then make four copies and file the master. 
Simples. 
I will put a PDF copy on my website if anyone wants to copy him; if you do make money out of him please make a donation to one of my charities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment